- 30 micron cube machining
- Material: Al
- Challenge: extremely small and high precision requirement
- Machinability test
- Material: Si
- Challenge: very brittle and hard
- Sine wave pattern
- Material: Al
- Challenge: high precision
Potential programs (scholarship, fellowship, research grants, etc.)
Undergraduate Research Fellowships
The Undergraduate Academic Awards Office offers several fellowships to support undergraduate research done in collaboration with UW–Madison faculty or research/instructional academic staff during summer or the academic year. You are encouraged to visit the following website to initiate your application or know more opportunities.
Applications on the Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH)
If you haven’t done so already, you’ll first be prompted to complete the General Application. Then the Hilldale/Holstrom and/or Sophomore Research Fellowship will be listed under “Other Recommended Opportunities.” Applications include a research proposal and letter of recommendation from your research advisor.
- Wisconsin Idea Fellowships
are awarded to undergraduate students to develop and implement community-based research or service-learning projects that will meet a community identified need (local, national or international) under the supervision of a UW-Madison faculty or instructional academic staff member. Fellowships provide a program implementation budget of up to $5,000 for individual projects and up to $7,000 for group projects. If desired, students can designate a portion of their funds as a scholarship, to be administered through the Bursar’s Office.
- More info: https://morgridge.wisc.edu/students/wisconsin-idea-fellowships/
- The application deadline is February 12 (subject to change).
support undergraduate research done in collaboration with UW–Madison faculty or research/instructional academic staff during summer 2021 or the 2021-22 academic year. The student researcher receives $3,000, and the faculty/staff research advisor receives $1,000 to help offset research costs. Students must have at least junior standing at the time of application. The Holstrom Fellowships require an environmental focus. While there is no minimum GPA required, projects proposed by students with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or lower typically are not as competitive.
- Hilldale http://awards.advising.wisc.edu/hilldale-undergraduatefaculty-research-fellowship/
- Holstrom https://awards.advising.wisc.edu/holstrom-enviromental-research-fellowship/
- The application deadline is February 15 (subject to change).
is a public humanities grant that provides training, mentoring, and funding for UW-Madison undergraduates as they plan and implement creative, humanities-inspired projects in the local community. The program creates a bridge for the students to collaborate with a community partner (public library, museums, schools, non-governmental organizations, community centers, etc.) to execute projects that identify and respond to community needs. Each student or team of students receive a $600 stipend award, up to $2000 in project funds, and mentorship from staff.
- More information: https://humanities.wisc.edu/public-humanities/hexu
- The application deadline is February 4 and March 25 (subject to change).
supports undergraduate research done in collaboration with UW–Madison faculty or research/instructional academic staff during summer 2021 or the 2021-22 academic year. The student researcher receives $2,500, and the faculty/staff research advisor receives $500 to help offset research costs. At the time of application, the student must be a sophomore, a freshman who will have more than 24 credits after May 2021, or a transfer student in their first year of attendance at UW-Madison. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.3 is required.
- More information: http://awards.advising.wisc.edu/sophomore-research-fellowship/
- The application deadline is March 1 (subject to change).
is open to UW–Madison undergraduates in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA that reflects academic success. You must be enrolled in at least one summer course.
- More information: Summer scholarship
- The application deadline is April 11 (subject to change).
The Madison Chapter of ASHRAE will be soliciting engineering student applications for the annual Gustus L. Larson Scholarship early in 2020. Up to four scholarships are to be awarded for an amount of $1500 each. Students are to be enrolled at UW – Madison or UW – Platteville and be of Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing and have at least one year of school remaining. Previous award recipients are not eligible.
- More information: https://ashraemadison.org/Scholarships
- The application deadline is April 9 (subject to change).